May 11, 2018
by Natalie Wilson – Best Bamboo Guide
When we conjure up an image of bamboo, we hardly ever think “soft.” Bamboo is dense, supple, and beautiful, and many useful objects can be made from it. But bamboo sheets? Is that anything like a bed of nails?
Actually, the grass plant from which bamboo sheets are made is the ideal substance for such a purpose. Viscose bamboo bed sheets are durable, yet soft, the perfect combination for a long-lasting, welcome addition to your bed linen collection. Viscose from bamboo bedding is actually considered by many to be the softest sheets that you can buy!
What are Bamboo Sheets Actually Made of?
Certainly we’re not going to be sleeping on sheets that are anything like the bamboo plants we’re familiar with, are we? It’s hard to imagine less comfortable sheets! In fact, the bamboo plant is the starting material for a process (the viscose process) that can be performed with any plant and produces the viscose bamboo fabric. This is the same process that is used to make Rayon where the starting material could be any other plant, really. That’s why sometimes you see bamboo bed sheets labeled as “Viscose” and sometimes as “Rayon.” These are actually the exact same thing. The 100% Bamboo tag gets applied when the sheet manufacturer does not blend the viscose bamboo with any other fabrics (such as cotton) when the sheets are actually being created.
So, what is this viscose/rayon process that produces bamboo bedding? The bamboo plants are dissolved in a viscose liquid (which does contain chemicals making the Oeko-Tex certification all the more important!) and then pushed through tiny openings to create the threads. The threads are then woven together into the sheets.
It may sound complicated, but really at the end the fabric it produces is unbelievably soft and comfortable. Cariloha also claims that they sleep 3 degrees cooler than cotton sheets. I have no idea how they would measure such a thing, but they seem really proud of it!
Do Bamboo Sheets Have a Threadcount?
Yes and no. Yes, they do have a threadcount, but it isn’t comparable to the threadcounts you see with cotton. The two main threadcounts available for bamboo sheets are 320tc and 500tc (I believe both the Cariloha Classic and Resort are 320tc, as are the Bamboo Supply Co). I’ve tried out 500tc bamboo sheets and they are actually less soft than the 320tc bamboo sheets.
It’s just not the same with threadcounts on cotton sheets, and isn’t really something you should be looking for in bamboo sheets. The important things to look for when buying bamboo sheets are the quality of the manufacturer and the certifications that they are actually using 100% bamboo derived viscose.
Sadly, you are not going to fine real bamboo sheets for less than $100. There are various companies on Amazon selling sheets they call bamboo, but are really polyester. These can be as cheap as $30, which is great if you don’t mind sleeping on polyester. Just be aware that if you get sheets like this, you aren’t getting actual bamboo bedding products.
Are Bamboo Sheets Really Good?
Yes! I mean, I run a website called BestBambooGuide.com, so naturally I like bamboo products. I do think the sheets are fantastic. They are definitely the softest type of sheets that you can buy, and I think they are cooler and feel better on my skin as well. While the environmental benefits are somewhat overstated (the viscose process does use chemicals), they are still way better than cotton.
Take a look below at the viscose from bamboo sheets we have compared and reviewed for you.
Disclaimer: Many of the links below allow bestbambooguide.com to earn a small commission if you decide to purchase the product, at no cost to you. This is how the site stays in business!
Top Rated Bamboo Sheets for 2018
|Picture||Product Name||Price||Expert Rating|
|"World's Softest Sheets" 4-piece sheet set from Bamboo Supply Co.||Read review||$$$$||4.9|
|Cariloha Resort Bamboo Sheets 4-Piece Sheet Set with Luxurious Sateen Weave (also available on Amazon.com)||Read review||$$$$$||4.8|
|Cariloha Classic Bamboo Sheets 4-Piece Bed Sheet Set (also available on Amazon.com)||Read review||$$$$||4.7|
|Brielle 100-Percent Rayon Bamboo Sheet Set||Read review||$$||4.0|
|Royal Tradition 100% Viscose from Bamboo Silky Sheet Set||Read review||$||4.4|
|Linenwalas 100% Rayon Derived From Bamboo Luxury Hotel Bed Sheet Set||Read review||$$||4.5|
|Malouf 100% Rayon from Bamboo Sheet Set||Read review||$$$||4.5|
|eLuxurySupply 4-Piece Bamboo Sheet Set||Read review||$$$||4.6|
Reviews of the top 5 Bamboo Sheets & Bedding
1. Bamboo Supply Co. – “World’s Softest Sheets” – 4 Piece Bedding Set
The “World’s Softest Sheets” tagline is well-deserved. Although all 100% viscose from bamboo sheets are known for their softness, the twill weave sheets from the Bamboo Supply Co. definitely take the prize for softest sheets in our testing. Despite this softness, after putting the sheets through many wash cycles (cold wash, delicate), and tumble dry there was no pilling or visible durability issues.
The big advantages of 100% viscose from bamboo sheets are softness and hypoallergenic qualities. As mentioned, these sheets get an A+ on the softness scale. For hypoallergenic, I’ve had no skin irritation at all since I started using them, which is a big advantage. The folks at Mattress Clarity also did a test and vouch for the hypoallergenic qualities as well. The other big plus for these sheets is that they are manufactured with an OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certification. This is very important, and is an independent environmental testing and certification standard that verifies there are no harmful chemicals in the sheets.
There are two downsides to these sheets. First, they do tend to wrinkle unless you are able to put them on your bed immediately as they come out of the dryer. I have not found anyway to avoid this with most viscose from bamboo sheets, but the Bamboo Supply Co. sheets are so soft the problem is a bit worse. Second, they are only available through the company’s website at the moment. That said, I’ve found their shipping and customer service to be completely reliable, but I’ll update this post with an Amazon link if they start selling there.
2. (TIE) Resort Viscose from Bamboo Sheets by Cariloha and the Classic Bamboo Sheets by Cariloha
Cariloha offers a wide variety of the best bamboo sheets you can buy. They offer two different lines of sheets that give you options in the way of price and thread count.
Their bamboo sheets are made from one hundred percent viscose from bamboo. These sheets are one hundred percent organically farmed and are a great eco-friendly and conscious choice for sheets. The natural properties of bamboo render the sheets hypoallergenic and odor resistant. They provide a clean and welcoming feel with thermal regulating breathability that surpasses all expectations on comfort.
There are two different lines of bed sheets offered by Cariloha. Sheets start at a two hundred and thirty thread count in the “Classic” style.
The other option offered by Cariloha is their “Resort” line of sheets. These are four hundred count sheets that are silky smooth and comfortable. The two styles allow you to choose which price best suits your budget while never sacrificing on quality or feel.
The Classic set is priced under two hundred dollars which is a bargain for such comfort and style. Two hundred and thirty thread count sheets are some of the smoothest and enticing sheets you can buy at this price.
They also give you the choice of a wide range of colors. You have the choice between Sage, Sandy Shore, Bahama Blue, Ivory, and white. These inviting colors work great with any color scheme and fit large pillow top mattresses up to eighteen inches in depth. This is a great option if your budget is under two hundred dollars that come with a lifetime satisfaction guarantee.
Click here to see user reviews and prices on Amazon or you can check out the Cariloha Classic Bamboo Sheets directly at Cariloha.com.
We also have an in-depth Cariloha Classic Bamboo Sheets Review.
The Resort set is the high-end option that Cariloha offers. The sheets are an amazingly soft and luxurious four hundred thread count that will make you never want to leave your bed. This set is designed to fit all mattresses, even deep pillow top mattresses that measure up to eighteen inches in depth.
This luxury set is priced at just over two hundred dollars but is worth every penny if you enjoy a lavishly soft and silky set of sheets. The Resort line also offers a wide array of colors to choose from. These soft tones will accentuate any type of decor with colors like Blue Lagoon, Almond, Ivory, Beachwood, Caribbean, White, Graphite, and the very pleasant Tahitian. These are satisfaction guaranteed and backed with a lifetime exchange offer. Simply send in your old sheets, and Cariloha will replace them!
Click here to see user reviews and prices on Amazon or you can check out the Cariloha Classic Bamboo Sheets directly at Cariloha.com.
We also have an in-depth Cariloha Resort Bamboo Sheets Review.
3. eLuxurySupply Ultra Soft 100% Rayon from Bamboo Sheet Set by ExecptionalSheetsThese rayon from bamboo sheets are definitely soft and comfortable sheets and will make going to bed something to really look forward too. Softer than silk, cotton and cashmere, who could ask for more?
Rayon from Bamboo is one of the softest fabrics available. These sheets naturally hug the body, providing a person with a more comfortable sleep. Bamboo is sustainable, requires less pesticides and is naturally irrigated which makes these sheets derived from the bamboo plant the greenest sheets you can purchase.
We also have an in-depth review of the eLuxurySupply Ultra Soft Bamboo Sheets by ExceptionalSheets.
4. Linenwalas 100% Rayon Derived From Bamboo Luxury Hotel Bed Sheet Set
These Viscose from Bamboo sheets are like treating yourself to 5 Star service. Linenwalas is a new entrant in our top 5 list. These are a really nice sheet set with all of the usual benefits of viscose from bamboo, but at a somewhat more affordable price than some other brands. As you know, viscose from bamboo is one of the softest fabrics available and just like silk sheets, hugs your body.
The Bamboo plant from which the fabric is derived is sustainable, antimicrobial, and requires less pesticides, making it them the most green sheets you can purchase.
We also have an in-depth review of the Linenwalas bamboo sheets.
5. Malouf 100% Rayon from Bamboo Sheet Set
Deep pockets that allow the fitted sheet to fit mattresses with the depths from 16”-20” and Hypoallergenic!
This Viscose from Bamboo Sheet Set by Malouf provides a perfect sleep. High quality natural material is safe for those with sensitive skin and babies. It is soft to the touch and breathable helping regulate body temperature throughout the night.
We also have an in-depth review of the Malouf bamboo sheets..
The Surprising Advantages of Viscose from Bamboo Bed Sheets
Viscose from Bamboo sheet sets provide an astonishing cornucopia of benefits over even the best-quality traditional sheets:
- Earth-friendly viscose from bamboo sheets – Switching to environmentally correct fabric derived from bamboo will make your eco-conscience happy. Bed linen manufactured from bamboo derived fabric comes from a natural, organic source. And bamboo is also one of the earth’s few fully sustainable woody sources, since its roots are not destroyed when the plants are harvested. In fact, the bamboo plant loves to be pruned and thinned, and wherever a stalk is cut, it will regrow very quickly. Bamboo requires much less water than other fiber plants, too.
- Toxin-free growth – In a home environment, viscose from bamboo sheets offer you the security of knowing that the plant was grown without the use of pesticides and other related products.
- More comfortable sleeping temperatures – Bed linens such as Cariloha Crazy Soft Classic Sheets and other popular viscose bamboo cotton sheets are considered superior to other linen fabrics in a trait called “moisture wicking.” Unlike regular sheets manufactured from traditional materials, viscose from bamboo sheets keep their users warmer during cold nights and cooler during the hot ones, due to their “wicking” properties, which draw the moisture away from the body, allowing it to evaporate on the outer surfaces of the sheet. This is a wonderful boon for those who experience extremes in body temperatures that would otherwise keep them awake for much of the night.
- Antimicrobial characteristics – Studies such as this one show that luxury viscose from bamboo sheets possess germ-resistant qualities that outperform most other fabrics in the health arena, contrary to a previous position taken by the FTC. This places viscose from bamboo linens squarely in the antibacterial category.
- Stain resistant – Those who love their viscose from bamboo bedding often rave about the fabric’s ability to fight off stains, as well as bacteria. This advantage even extends to warding off stains from oily skin. Of course, this is not universal, and with effort you certainly can stain viscose from bamboo sheets.
- Mite resistant – Users report that sheets derived from bamboo resist bed and dust mites better than many other fabrics. This fact alone makes it worth investing in at least one viscose from bamboo sheet set. Users who post reviews of viscose from bamboo sheet often extol the product’s allergen-resistant abilities, noting that they have fewer nighttime bouts with allergy-related symptoms such as sneezing and itching.
- Soft, silky comfort – One of the main reasons for anyone to buy viscose from bamboo sheets is their opulent softness. Regardless of their age or the number of times they have been washed and dried, they will never feel coarse or binding, and instead offer a sensual softness that is lightweight and silky, protecting your body in a Zen-like, unobtrusive fashion you will love.
The Proper Care of Your Beautiful Viscose from Bamboo Sheets
Viscose from Bamboo sheets deserve to be treated like the high-quality fabrics they truly are, and washing viscose from bamboo sheets correctly keeps them lasting longer, retaining their original softness and resilience. Understanding how to wash viscose from bamboo sheets will help you maintain them and enjoy them well into the future.
Browse through the tips below to learn how to keep your beautiful viscose from bamboo bedding at heirloom level.
- Use cold water. As with most fine fabrics, viscose from bamboo sheet sets responds best to cold-water washing. You will find that the results are just as satisfactory as hot-water washing, without the inevitable subtle deterioration caused by the heat. There is one exception to this general rule: When you first bring a luxury viscose from bamboo sheet set home, wash it in hot water one time, unless it has been pre-shrunk. This will encourage the fabric to shrink a bit to the precise size it was intended to be.
- Dry gently. Everything dries better under the sun on a clothesline, but if that is not practical, simply use the gentlest, coolest setting on your clothes dryer.
- Combine related colors. This is a rule with every colored fabric, and helps avoid color bleeding and staining. Never wash colored fabrics with whites.
- Avoid washing with rough materials. Combining them in the washer with coarser fabrics can cause your viscose from bamboo sheets to pill.
- No softeners necessary. Because they are so soft, viscose from bamboo sheets require no fabric softeners in the wash.
- No need for dryer strips or bleach. Maintain the integrity of your viscose from bamboo sheets longer by never subjecting them to the harshness of bleach or dryer sheets.
Use natural stain removers. Pre-treat stains on viscose from bamboo bedding with natural cleaners that contain no harsh chemicals. For example, try soaking a bloodstain with pure hydrogen peroxide before washing the sheet. A mild combo of white vinegar and water is sometimes the very best natural stain remover. A few drops of natural castile soap mixed with equal parts of baking soda and borax make a hard-working, non-toxic, gentle stain remover, too. You can even try replacing your laundry detergent entirely with this mixture.
How Long do Bamboo Sheets Last?
If you’ve ever felt bamboo sheets, then you know they are incredibly soft, and don’t feel like they will last forever. It’s true, bamboo sheets are not going to last you a lifetime (but ideally you’re replacing your sheets every 2 years), but they should last several years at least. Most companies will somewhere between a 90-day and 1-year return policy to protect against defective sheets. This might include pilling (which is a problem with bamboo sheets from time to time), holes that develop from poor stitching in the fitted sheet, etc.
The important thing here is to buy from a reputable company (like those on our list) that is going to stand behind their product. They also produce higher quality sheets to begin with! However, you should have realistic expectations that these sheets are going to need to be replaced every few years as with other sheets.
How to Find the Ideal Viscose from Bamboo Sheets
Those who are wondering where to buy viscose from bamboo sheets will be delighted at the plethora of outlets available online. We recommend buying directly from the Bamboo Supply Co website or from Amazon. You can get a list of all the bamboo sheets on Amazon here. Everything you ever wanted to know about this splendid product is available there, from the measurements of viscose from bamboo sheets in king sizes to whether you can buy viscose from bamboo sheets at Costco to the latest viscose from bamboo sheets review posts.
You may come across a nice set of bamboo rayon sheets that are pre-shrunk, so you don’t have to pre-wash them, or some viscose from bamboo sheets for queen size beds in just the right trendy color to match your curtains or duvet. Home source viscose from bamboo sheets at your leisure, and take time to find the perfect set for you and your bedroom.
The best viscose from bamboo sheets are the ones you fall in love with at first sight. If that happens to you, check to make sure they are certified chemical free, and you will enjoy your soft new viscose from bamboo linen even more than your favorite old cotton sheets with a sky-high thread count. Looking for more bamboo-based products in your bedroom to go with your new sheets? Check out our reviews on Viscose from Bamboo Covered Pillows Here. We also researched Viscose from Bamboo Duvets and Viscose from Bamboo Mattresses to complete your eco-friendly bed set.
About the Author: Natalie Wilson
When I’m not studying up on the latest eco-friendly ways to produce everyday items (particularly using bamboo), you can find me playing trivia at a local bar, or hanging out at the beach.
I love the idea of using an abundant resource like bamboo to make a huge varieties of items we use everyday. Particularly when those are currently being made with plastic, or plants that require pesticides and a huge amount of water to grow.
Hopefully this site will inspire people to think about ways they can improve their sleep, decrease the strain they put on the environment, and generally get better, long-lasting products that are also sustainable and of higher quality than the products they are used to.
You can find a bit more information and a list of my recent articles on my author profile page!