Guide to the Best Bamboo Mattress of 2017
The combination of memory foam and bamboo provide an extremely healthy sleeping dynamic for various reasons. Made from memory foam, a bamboo mattress can help aide spinal issues causing back, neck, and shoulder pain by relieving pressure points. Adding the bamboo element helps aid night time breathing and relieve allergies. A mattress is the foundation of comfort in your bedding. It should feel comfortable from the beginning.
Our Top Pick
Our overall top choice (pictured on the left) was the Brentwood Home Bamboo Gel 13 Memory Foam Mattress with Bamboo Cover. The Brentwood Gel 13 offers exceptionally good support and contours to fit your body and spread your weight out over your entire body rather than focusing it on specific pressure points. In addition the bamboo cover helps keep you cool and clean throughout the night. From our data set we had people who had owned Brentwood mattresses for many years and they informed us that it held up exceptionally well over time. One problem with memory foam mattresses is that they can start to get depressed in the spot you sleep over time. The high-quality Brentwood mattress didn’t suffer from this problem. The most common problem people had with the Brentwood bamboo mattress was at the outset: the edges or the corners might not inflate properly. You should definitely make sure the mattress, particularly the edges and corners, inflate properly when you first get unpack the mattress (this might take up to a couple of days). Of course, if you buy through Amazon you can take advantage of their return policy to get a replacement right away.
Also awesome in our bamboo mattress review was the Lucid 16 Inch Plush Memory Foam Mattress Infused with Bamboo Charcoal. This actually scored slightly higher than the Brentwood 13″ Gel bamboo mattress, but fell into the runner-up position since it was a bit more expensive. On our metrics, the Brentwood was a slightly better value, but if you’re sleep is critically important and you don’t mind spending a little bit extra, then this is a fantastic choice. The bamboo charcoal infused memory foam is amazing at keeping you cool during the night. Overall if you have trouble with staying cool during the night, then the Lucid is our top choice.
Below is the complete comparison table of our bamboo mattress review. Included are all 6 brands we had sufficient data to test as well as the 9-inch Brentwood and the 14-inch Lucid which are great options if the top two choices above don’t quite fit into your budget.
The Benefits of a Bamboo Mattress
There are plenty of reasons to join the growing number of people who are realizing the benefits of bamboo products.
- Eco-friendly bamboo mattresses and mattress toppers – Switching to bamboo bedding is healthy for consumers as well as the environment. The fibers come from a natural, organic source that eliminates harmful chemicals used in the growing process. Bamboo is one of the rare fully sustainable sources in the world because its roots are not destroyed when the plants are harvested. It is actually good for bamboo crops to be thinned, and takes little water for regrowth.
Chemical free growth – Unlike cotton, bamboo is not harvested in pesticides or other hazardous chemicals. While you are sleeping comfortably in your bed, you can rest assured knowing that your bedding was made without toxic chemicals.
- Helps regulate sleeping temperatures and provide correct spinal support – Unlike a normal memory foam mattress, a bamboo mattress or bamboo mattress topper combines the health of memory foam for spinal support, and bamboo making it hypoallergenic. Bamboo also allows the mattress to breathe better allowing you to stay cool on warm night and keeping you cozy on cold nights. Many times trying to find the right body temperature is what keeps people awake all night. With bamboo bedding, body temperature is controlled and moisture is absorbed.
- Dust and bacteria resistant – Partially made from bamboo, these mattresses help resist dust mites and other bacteria found in other mattresses. Because mattresses are not made to be thoroughly washed, this is a very important quality to have. Because it is hypoallergenic, it excludes trouble breathing and night time allergies.
- Healthy, relieving comfort – Not only do these mattresses and mattress toppers provide relief from pressure points and align the spine, they also provide relief from allergies. Excluding back pain and breathing problems gets you two important steps closer to your ultimate comfort zone while you sleep.
How to care for your Bamboo Mattress and Bamboo Mattress Topper
It is important to understand how to care for your bamboo mattress or bamboo mattress topper so that you can achieve the highest level of satisfaction and allow correct timing for the product to reach its peak performance and withstand its high quality.
- Once your bamboo mattress is delivered and taken out of the box, carefully remove the plastic and avoid using sharp objects that may puncture the mattress (or) carefully open your bamboo mattress topper using same precautions.
- Unroll the mattress, but do not use too much force while trying to get it to assume normal positioning. Many times it will packaged in vacuum sealed plastic and the mattress can take anywhere from 1-2 days to take on its full shape and size. A bamboo mattress topper can also be packaged in many different ways, so be sure to allow some time for it to take on the intended shape and size.
- Before sleeping on your new bamboo mattress or bamboo mattress topper, allow it to air out for a few hours to get rid of new foam smells. It is common for the mattress or mattress topper to have a strong smell once opened, but because it is made from bamboo it breathes very easily allowing the smell to pass in a timely manner.
- It is good to air out the bamboo mattress for a few hours 1-2 times per year by opening windows and stripping your bed. It is also recommended to flip your mattress once a year. Because a bamboo mattress topper is significantly thinner, it is recommended to go through the above steps more frequently.
- To keep your bamboo mattress or bamboo mattress topper in pristine condition, you can take extra precautions such as using waterproof mattress covers and a proper foundation for your mattress to be placed on.